Thursday, May 9, 2019

Lovecraft By Way Of Japan

I set up this blog about a year ago, just to be a place to post various things without the additional clutter that can come from using places such as Tumblr; I haven't really done much on it, due to getting caught up in grad school, but now I think I should be a bit more active. So to start, here's an animated film adaptation of some of H.P. Lovecraft's writing, all the way from Japan.

Directed by Ryo Shinagawa and originally released in 2007, the film is done in Claymation (though calling it animated may be a bit generous). The three shorts are adaptations of Lovecraft's "The Picture in the House," "The Dunwich Horror," and "The Festival."

What I like of the shorts is how atmospheric the scenery is, like looking at a warped version of New England (which all of Lovecraft's writing tends to be). I suppose part of this has to do with the filmmakers being from Japan, and therefore free to interpret New England as seen through a horror lens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment